SHILLONG, Jun 16: The number of recorded COVID-19 patients in Meghalaya has come down to 43 after health authorities confirmed that the elderly person from Umsamlem, Ri-Bhoi who apparently tested positive for the virus was a “false positive” case.
Meghalaya Director of Health Service (MI), Dr Aman Warr on Tuesday informed reporters that the decision to declare the case as negative was taken by the state response team on COVID-19 headed by Commissioner and Secretary Health, P. Sampath Kumar.
It may be mentioned that the person had apparently tested positive for the virus last week and was admitted to the COVID-19 section of the H. Gordon Robert’s Hospital, Jaïaw.
Dr Warr said that the person suffered from severe acute respiratory infection.
He informed that since the day one health authorities used both the RT-PCR and rapid body tests, on the said person.
When asked how the person in the first instance tested positive for COVID-19, Dr Warr said that although the machine was 99 percent “accurate” and has one percent “error”.
“Therefore this falls under one percent,” he said.
According to Dr Warr, since the person was looking healthy and eating well, they decided to conduct tests on him even though the 14-day quarantine period was not over.
According to him, the person was tested twice 24 hours apart first on Sunday and then on Monday and both the tests were negative.
With the latest development the number of active cases has gone down to 14.
Dr Warr also informed that 62 high risk contacts and 79 low risk contacts were tested and all showed negative results.