SHILLONG, Oct 23: The Congregation of Christian Brothers in a statement issued on Tuesday said that they have learnt of an allegation of sexual abuse by one of its members made through a Facebook post as part of the #MeToo movement.
“The Christian Brothers stand in solidarity with and in support of any survivor of sexual abuse. We are committed to a just and fair hearing to both the complainant and the alleged abuser, through a formal process as laid out in our Protection Policy – ‘Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults,” Br. J. Johnson, Society Protection Officer, Professional Ethics Commission, Congregation of Christian Brothers in India said.
According to Brother Johnson this policy looks into all cases of abuse, past and present, so as to ascertain with compassion the truth and support the survivor towards achieving a peaceful closure while taking appropriate action against the alleged abuser if found guilty.
The Christian Brothers also said that due procedure will be initiated as laid out in the said Policy to take this serious allegation forward towards arriving at the truth and assisting the survivor with necessary help to attain due closure.
Br Johnson also said that even as these internal processes are carried out by the Christian Brothers, it stand committed to cooperating with the agencies of the law.
It may be mentioned that one woman Mary Therese Kurkalang last week took to social media to accuse Brother Francis Gale and Brother Muscat of Don Bosco, Laitumkhrah, of sexually abusing her when she was young.