Conrad says Centre taking different approach to introduce CAB

SHILLONG, Dec 4: Chief Minister, Conrad Sangma on Wednesday said that last time around when the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill (CAB) was passed the centre did not consult the people of the region.

Reacting to reports that the Union Cabinet had approved the CAB, Conrad said that he is yet to see its contents added that after what happened last year there was a different approach to the entire aspect of the CAB by the government of India this time.

“It started communicating to the state government,” the Chief Minister added even as he said that he personally met the Union Home Minister more than four times, on this issue and expressed the concerns of the northeast and Meghalaya specifically.

He pointed out that the Union Home Minister, Amit Shah himself has met more than 100 hundred organizations from the region which include 23 from Meghalaya alone to discuss what were the concern that each one had.

“So I think that was very different approach that was done and in that discussion there were lot of concerns expressed from our side on how the indigenous people out here will be protected and in those situations,” Conrad said.

The Chief Minister pointed out that the Home Ministry had given some measures and some steps and countering to that the organisations and the state government had given their points and their concerns about the CAB.

Conrad also said that the fact that the government of India, and the Home Minister himself has reached out to different organisations individually writing to each one of them asking them to come for the meeting shows the concerns.

“I think the fact that they have also agreed to make amendments in the whole process also shows that government of India is concern about the effects that it could have in the rest of the northeast. But they have also expressed their intentions and the fact why is this bill being brought in,” the Chief Minister said.