Meghalaya will go ahead with closure of entry points

SHILLONG, Aug 24: The Meghalaya government on Monday informed that it will go ahead with it’s closure of entry points in the State in the first week from 1st to 7th for three months from September to November.

It may be mentioned that last week in a communique to the Union Home Secretary Ajay Bhalla has reiterated to States that there should be no restrictions on inter-State and intra-State movement of persons and goods during the ongoing unlocking process.

However, the Meghalaya government on Monday reiterated that it will go ahead with it’s decision to enforce closure of the entry points for a week for three months starting September.

“This decision has been taken in view of easing the workload of the front line health workers who man the the entry points 24×7,” Tynsong said.

He also said that the closure will be used as an opportunity to sanitise the areas where the frontline workers are posted.

Meanwhile, the Meghalaya government also urged the COVID-19 management committees to not impose unnecessary protocols on persons going from one district to another.

Tynsong said the government has been informed that the local authorities are imposing their own strictures.

“Local authorities are asking people to go on quarantine just because they have visited another district,” the Deputy Chief Minister said.

Tynsong warned that the local authorities should respect the protocols of the State government and not to unnecessarily enforce quarantine on people who move within the State.