Six hospitalised after consuming wild mushrooms in East Garo Hills

Tura, Oct 22: Six people including four members from a family were hospitalised after consuming wild mushrooms in Meghalaya’s East Garo Hills District, officials said.

The 6 victims who all hail from Tura in West Garo Hills had consumed mushrooms from the Megagre market in East Garo Hills and are currently been treated at the Tura Civil Hospital.

According to official sources, the 6 victims of food poisoning have been identified as Tejan Momin (Physics lecturer from Tura Government College), Dr Barkarine R Marak (Williamnagar Civil Hospital) their son Luke Brandon R Marak, their maid Gracy R Marak and neighbour Silisa T Sangma and Domba Marak all fell ill after eating the cooked mushrooms.

The mushrooms were allegedly purchased from Megagre and cooked yesterday afternoon. However the family began to feel the effects of food poisoning immediately after consumption.

“They were rushed to the Tura Civil Hospital where they are currently out of danger. Thankfully they lived close by and were able to get quick medical help. We shudder to think what would have happened if they lived in a remote place and needed time to reach a medical facility,” said a family member on condition of anonymity.

Two of the victims, Tejan and Dr Barkarine were released this afternoon though the others are still being monitored at TCH for now.

“Two of the victims are currently under observation while the rest are fine. Most of them have been discharged,” said acting DC, AM Sangma from WGH.

Mushroom poisoning cases have been rampant in Garo Hills mainly due to the growth of the plant across the region. While some of these are fit for human consumption, most are not. Earlier there have been many documented cases of deaths due to consumption of mushrooms, mostly from the South Garo Hills region.

Door Step Delivery Of Medicine

We Advertise


  • Phone
  • Email
  • Address
    Office: Lower Lachumiere Near Pear Tree Guest House
    Shillong, 793001
    For Advertisements
    Call Us Here 98634-49079/7085718589