Shillong, Jun 14: Chief Minister, Conrad Sangma has said that the government is waiting for the report on the seizure of rice meant for Meghalaya from a godown in Assam.
Sangma said that that the NFSA rice, which is meant for the public distribution system, the State has already received the entire amount in advance for the month of May and June.
“So there is no question of this rice being there and lying there. There’s no tag saying this is the Meghalaya rice,” he added.
Sangma said that if such a huge amount was missing it would have come to the notice of everybody.
Meanwhile, the Social Welfare department in a press statment clarified that the rice seized by Assam Police from a godown was allocated to Continental Milkcose Ltd. by Food Corporation of India, Shillong through the Social Welfare Department.
“In this regard, it is hereby clarified that the Government of India allocates rice under Wheat Based Nutrition Programme (WBNP) to different States. The Directorate of Social Welfare in turn allocated the rice to the approved manufacturer (Continental Milkcose Ltd) which was lifted from the FCI go-down,” Director of Social Welfare department D. D. Shira stated.
According to Shira, the manufacturer then processes it into a variety of ready to eat fortified food products in the factory which is supplied to the Anganwadi Centres under the Nutrition Programme.
“There has been no instance of non-supply of food items so far, and complete indented quantities have been received,” the Director stated.
The Directorate of Social Welfare has been sending random samples of the food items for lab analysis and quality testing from time to time to ensure that the food items supplied is no of sub-standard quality and conforms to the nutritional norms.
Shira informed, “The Department is awaiting official letter from the concerned I.O/Assam Government for enquiry and further appropriate action against the supplier.”